Tuesday 7 February 2012

An Observation from the Tradesman's Entrance

I had an interesting encounter yesterday. I was leafletting the UK Resistance demonstration, outside Westminster Abbey. I handed a leaflet to a lady cleric and she read the first few lines before asking me, "Are you one of these white supremacist groups?"
I discounted total insanity and assumed that she hadn’t yet read as far as the bit where we expressed our support for Dr. Sentamu, who is a Ugandan gentleman and therefore unlikely to be massively popular amongst white supremacist racists. The Revd. Michael Nazir-Ali was the only other person mentioned by name in our leaflets. He got a favourable report from us. He hails from the Indian sub-continent and holds joint Pakistani-British citizenship. I think any sensible observer would agree that we have, individually and as a group, established our non-racist bona-fides.
I asked the lady priest what exactly had prompted her to ask such an offensive question. She apologised for any offence caused and replied, and I quote: "It says 'working-class'. That’s what a lot of white supremacists call themselves."
To say I was shocked that a presumably well-educated person could come out with such an outrageous statement would be a massive understatement.
On reflection though, her reaction made perfect sense.
She is a part of the 'establishment' and as such, her perception of society has been corrupted to the point where she believes that any white working-class person (i.e. me) who disagrees with the line trotted out by the political/media elite in any way is automatically a racist. Once the race-card is played any serious debate on any topic is, of course, immediately ended.
This lady did not, I am convinced, come to this mind-set independently and she at least had the decency to blush, when I pointed out what the lawyers would no doubt call “The John Sentamu/Michael Nazir-Ali Lacuna” in her assumption.
The media, at the behest of their fellow cultural fascists in government have manufactured this preposterous idea that all working-class people who are not from an ethnic minority are racists.
On that basis, we are unable to debate on any topic with our ‘betters’ as we were attempting to do in London.
If we have the stronger argument, out comes the race card.
End of discussion.
I was initially upset by the casual way in which this lady priest thought it was perfectly acceptable to ask me, in a conversational tone, if I was a white supremacist.
Later, I was pleased that she had given me a graphic insight into how much work we have to do. We have been stitched up.  Well, no more.
We will not be dismissed any longer.


Greg, UKR Activist

1 comment: